Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Addicted to BAKING!

You may not know this, but I love to bake.

I love the mess that happens in the kitchen; clouds of flour, drips of egg yolk on my floor.... all joking aside, having a final product/s from some raw ingredients makes me feel good.

Lately, I have been exploring healthier, gluten/wheat/cholesterol free baking (and some are not completely free of all these, but have significantly less of them).

I am going to share with you a recipe I have for some Spelt & Oat Banana Muffins. Spelt is a healthier alternative to wheat flour, and I have been experimenting with spelt flour for a few months now. It is actually an ancient species of wheat (non-hybrid) and contains zero cholesterol - I have been adding it to my baking for some time and have now started completely substituting wheat flour with spelt flour.

Spelt is a little more expensive than wheat (but not much) , and does contain gluten, though there have been reports of Coeliac suffers being able to eat it - I guess it depends on the person specifically.

Here is my recipe:

190g spelt flour
60g rolled oats (I used porridge oats)
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of baking soda 
pinch of salt
85g of maple syrup (I used a cup measure for this - approx 1/4 cup)
100g melted butter
2 eggs
5 mashed bananas
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
handful of chopped walnuts / chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat the oven to 200° Celsius. Prepare muffin tin with bun cases.


In a bowl, mix together your dry ingredients (flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, salt) 

In a seperate bowl, mix together your maple syrup, butter eggs, vanilla and banana.

Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients gradually until combined. 


You can now add your walnuts/chocolate chips and spoon into bun cases.


Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.















2 comments:

S said...

They sound & look delicious, always lovely to have another healthy recipe!

All the little things - Irish Beauty Blog said...

wow they sounds amazing and look great! xxx